Green Pea Soup
1. In a saucepan filled with enough water to cover, cook peas for 8–10 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat, discard the water, and set aside peas. Reserve 2 Tbsp. of cooked peas for garnish.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add onions, tomato, potato, and cumin seeds, and sauté for 5–7 minutes, until the onions are tender. Let cool for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the contents from the large saucepan into a blender fitted with a steel blade or a food processor. Add mint leaves, milk, and cooked peas, and puree.
4. Pour the mixture back into the large saucepan. Add salt, red chili powder, black pepper, and brown sugar, and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Serve soup hot in bowls. Garnish with chopped cilantro, reserved cooked peas, and croutons.
Peas impart not only a lovely verdant color to this soup, but also a sweet, delicate taste, which is tempered by the heat of the red chili and black pepper. This creamy, delicious soup is wonderful on a cold winter evening.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes Serves: 4
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
reserved cooked peas
bread croutons (optional)