Red Lentils with Tofu
1. Pour rinsed red lentils and 4 c. of water in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, cook dal until it is cooked through, about 20 minutes. It should be tender but not mushy.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion, chilies, and garlic, and sauté over medium heat until onions are golden.
3. Add tomato and cook for 5 minutes or until tomato is cooked through. Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool (about 15 minutes).
4. In a blender fitted with a steel blade or a food processor, grind the mixture and 1/4 c. water to a puree.
5. In the same skillet, add butter. When it melts, add cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, and red chili, and fry over low heat for 1 minute.
6. Add cooked lentils and cook for 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium and add puree and tofu; cook for 5 minutes. Salt to taste.
7. Serve with rice, bread.
These quick-cooking lentils are a great source of protein and fiber. Red lentils are immersed in a delicious tomato puree with fragrant seasonings. Tofu has a sponge like ability to pick up the surrounding flavors and is added at the end. The dish’s lovely orange-red hue serves as an attractive side accompaniment to rice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes Serves: 4
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped